Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Ward & Hughes (about 1836 - 1920s)

Stained glass firm based in London which was initially a partnership between Thomas Ward (1808-1870) and James Henry Nixon (1802-1857). Henry Hughes (1822-1883) joined the firm in 1850 and became a partner in 1857, making his own windows as well as those of the firm. After Hughes' death, Thomas Figgis Curtis (1845-1924) took over the firm, although the windows were often still signed Ward & Hughes. Windows by T.F. Curtis, Ward & Hughes were often designed by George Parlby.

The firm employed a distinctive style, particularly from the 1880s, and as they were more likely than many contemporary firms to sign their work, windows by Curtis, Ward & Hughes are easier to identify.

Further reading

J. Knowles, 'Glass-Painters 1750-1850 (Part III)' in The Journal of Stained Glass, vol. XIII no. 3 (31 January 1966), 520-1.

Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), p. 124.



Show all artworks

 

Signatures and maker's marks
  Inscription and Signature    from    Jesus Appears to His Disciples by the Sea of Tiberias Inscription and Signature
from Jesus Appears to His Disciples by the Sea of Tiberias

1905
Church of St Tysilio, Bryneglwys, Denbighshire
south wall of the nave
  Signature    from    Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers Signature
from Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers

1893
Church of St Peter ad Vincula, Pennal, Gwynedd
south wall of the nave
  Signature    from    Virgin and Child with Christ the Good Shepherd Signature
from Virgin and Child with Christ the Good Shepherd

1914
Church of St Mary, Pennard, Swansea
east wall of the chancel
  Signature    from    Peter's Commission and Christ Anointed at Bethany Signature
from Peter's Commission and Christ Anointed at Bethany

1889
Church of St Tydecho, Cemaes, Powys
west wall of the nave
  Signature    from    The Ascension Signature
from The Ascension

1872
Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  Signature    from    Scenes from the Gospels Signature
from Scenes from the Gospels

1877
Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys
west wall of the south aisle
  Signature    from    The Adoration of the Magi Signature
from The Adoration of the Magi

1889
Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys
east wall of the north aisle
  Signature    from    Faith and Hope with Angels Signature
from Faith and Hope with Angels

1885
Church of St Catherine, Llanfaes, Anglesey
north wall of the north aisle
  Signature    from    Christ the Good Shepherd Signature
from Christ the Good Shepherd

1910
Church of St Dogfan, Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, Powys
south wall of the south chancel aisle


Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
NEW BOOK: Stained Glass from Welsh Churches: by Martin Crampin

This fully illustrated hardback outlines the range and development of stained glass in Wales from the 14th century until today.

Order online at www.ylolfa.com
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2014 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2014