Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys

formerly in: Montgomeryshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ155131
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Church built on a significant early Christian site, originally with more than one early medieval church suggested by known dedications to St Gwyddfarch, St Tysilio and St Mary. Traditionally the burial place of the kings of Powys, a ninth-tenth century stone with interlaced carvings and Crucifixion bears witness to the early importance of the site. The present church dates back to twelfth century, with much of the structure built during the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, and was restored by Benjamin Ferry in 1871-2.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

People associated with this site
   as architect: Benjamin Ferrey


Works at this site:
  The Ascension The Ascension
artist: Henry Hughes
1872
Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Gospels Scenes from the Gospels
artist: Henry Hughes
1877
Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys
west wall of the south aisle
  The Adoration of the Magi The Adoration of the Magi
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
1889
Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys
east wall of the north aisle
  Christ the Good Shepherd with St Peter and St John Christ the Good Shepherd with St Peter and St John
artist: David Evans
about 1856
Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys
east wall of the south aisle
  Heraldic Panels Heraldic Panels
artist: David Evans
1838
Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys
north wall of the north aisle



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Tysilio and St Mary, Meifod, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017