Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Works containing this subject

lamb bearing cross or banner, 'Agnus Dei' - symbol of Christ
11D1311


The Lamb, as a symbol of Christ, is alluded to throughout the book of Relevation. The lamb stands for sacrifice, for redemption, and alludes to John 1:29. The lamb was thus adopted as a symbol for Christ in early iconography. Shown standing, with a gonfalon, it can point forward to the coming Resurrection. The probable inspiration for much of this imagery is Jan Van Eyck's 1432 altarpiece in St Bavo, Ghent.

Browse full subject index  List related subjects

Agnus Dei
Church of St Petrog, Ferwig, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel
  Christian Symbols Christian Symbols
second half of the nineteenth century
Church of St Beuno, Clynnog Fawr, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
  Medieval Fragments with Agnus Dei Medieval Fragments with Agnus Dei
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
west wall of the nave
  Scenes from the Resurrection and the Last Judgement Scenes from the Resurrection and the Last Judgement
firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1978
Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
west wall of the nave
  Agnus Dei Adored by St Mary Magdalene and St Tadioc  Agnus Dei Adored by St Mary Magdalene and St Tadioc
Designer: Francis Stephens
1954
Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: William Wailes
about 1868
Church of St Beuno, Betws Cedewain, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  The Crossing of the Red Sea and the Baptism of Christ The Crossing of the Red Sea and the Baptism of Christ
artist: Veronica Whall
1933
Church of St Mary, Denbigh, Denbighshire
(liturgical) south wall of the nave
  Christ with the Elements of the Eucharist and The Agony in the Garden Christ with the Elements of the Eucharist and The Agony in the Garden
probably 1860s
Church of St Michael, Abergele, Conwy
north wall
  Agnus Dei Agnus Dei
about 1867-1870
Church of St George, Reynoldston, Swansea
east wall of the north transept
  Agnus Dei Agnus Dei
firm/studio: Michael and Arthur O'Connor
1859
Church of St Margaret, Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire
east end of the north aisle




 
NEW BOOK: Stained Glass from Welsh Churches: by Martin Crampin

This fully illustrated hardback outlines the range and development of stained glass in Wales from the 14th century until today.

Order online at www.ylolfa.com
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2015 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2015