Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH477893
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Victorian estate church of Llanwenllwyfo, built in 1856 by Henry Kennedy. Lady Dinorben of Llysdulas gave £936 of the total cost of £1,417, fulfiling her late husband's wish to build a new church. Of principal interest in the church is its remarkable collection of Flemish stained glass panels, presented by Sir Arundell Neave and inserted in 1877. The glass had been collected by his grandfather Sir Thomas Neave.

Wikipedia description

People associated with this site
   as architect: Henry Kennedy


Works at this site:
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
sixteenth century
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
east wall of the chancel
  Abraham Kneels Before the Three Angels Abraham Kneels Before the Three Angels
1522
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
north wall of the nave
  Moses with Aaron and Miriam Moses with Aaron and Miriam
1522
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
north wall of the nave
  St Thomas with a Canon St Thomas with a Canon
about 1522
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  St Andrew with a Donor St Andrew with a Donor
about 1522
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  The Mocking of Christ The Mocking of Christ
designer: Bernaert van Orley
about 1522
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  Holy Family with St Anne and Joachim Holy Family with St Anne and Joachim
1522
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  St John with the Governor of the Netherlands St John with the Governor of the Netherlands
last quarter of the sixteenth century
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  David and Abigail David and Abigail
about 1520
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
north wall of the nave
  The Raising of Lazarus and Christ Healing Peter's Mother-in-law The Raising of Lazarus and Christ Healing Peter's Mother-in-law
about 1522
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
north wall of the chancel



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
NEW BOOK: Stained Glass from Welsh Churches: by Martin Crampin

This fully illustrated hardback outlines the range and development of stained glass in Wales from the 14th century until today.

Order online at www.ylolfa.com
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2014 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2014