Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd (1866-1934)

Studio established in 1866 by Charles Eamer Kempe (1837-1907) in London to make windows under his direction. Kempe insisted that the members of the studio should remain anonymous, and that only the firm's name should be credited. The firm perfected the use of silver stain on clear glass which leaves a yellow tint. Kempe left the firm to his nephew Walter Tower, after which the firm was known as C.E. Kempe & Co. Ltd. The emblem used by the firm, the wheatsheaf, had a tower added to it. The firm’s designers also worked on other church furnishings, including reredoses, screens and war memorials, which were often executed by the Sussex firm of Norman & Burt.

Kempe Society webpage.

Further reading

Margaret Stavridi, Master of Glass: Charles Eamer Kempe 1837-1907 (Hatfield: John Taylor Books, 1988).

Philip Collins, The Corpus of Kempe Stained Glass in the UK and Ireland (Kempe Trust, 2000).



Show all artworks


Search for further information about C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd on Google

 

Signatures and maker's marks
  Maker's Mark    from    Virgin and Child with St Luke and St John Maker's Mark
from Virgin and Child with St Luke and St John

1906
Church of St Mary, Maestir, Ceredigion
chancel apse (window number: I, sII, nI)
  Maker's Mark    from    St Martin with St Asaph and St Cyndeyrn Maker's Mark
from St Martin with St Asaph and St Cyndeyrn

1922
Church of St Peter, Pwllheli, Gwynedd
north wall of the north aisle
  Maker's Mark    from    The Good Samaritan Maker's Mark
from The Good Samaritan

1917
Christ Church, Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire
south wall of the south aisle (window number: sVI)
  Maker's Mark    from    Christ Blessing Children Brought to Him by Angels Maker's Mark
from Christ Blessing Children Brought to Him by Angels

1915
Church of St Augustine, Rumney, Cardiff
south wall of the sanctuary (window number: sII)
  Maker's Mark    from    St Simon and St Jude Maker's Mark
from St Simon and St Jude

1901
Church of St John, Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the south aisle (window number: sVII)


Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2018 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2018