Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907)

Victorian Gothic Revival Architect. Initially trained with George Gilbert Scott, with whom he had a family connection, before establishing his own practice. He worked with William Morris and his circle, having met Morris in G. E. Street's office in around 1856. His partnership with Thomas Garner began in 1869, working on churches as well as domestic architecture. As well as his churches in Cardiff, Bodley also designed interiors for Powis Castle in Montgomeryshire from 1900-02.

Further reading

Michael Hall, The Holiness of Beauty: G.F. Bodley (1827-1907) and his circle (London: V&A+RIBA Trust, 2008).



Your search found 4 results.
  St Jerome and St Ambrose St Jerome and St Ambrose
designer: George Frederick Bodley
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1890
Church of St Margaret, Roath, Cardiff
north wall of the north transept
  St German St German
designer: George Frederick Bodley
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1891
Church of St Margaret, Roath, Cardiff
nave
  Three Archangels Three Archangels
designer: George Frederick Bodley
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1898
Church of St Saviour, Splott, Cardiff
south wall of the chancel
  Christ in Majesty with Saints and Scenes from the Death and Resurrection of Christ Christ in Majesty with Saints and Scenes from the Death and Resurrection of Christ
designer: George Frederick Bodley
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1898
Church of St Saviour, Splott, Cardiff
east window of the chancel




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017