Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Goddard & Gibbs (established 1868)

Decorative glass studio working in the production and restoration of traditional stained glass as well as contemporary architectural glass. The firm was initially established as Walter Gibbs & Sons on Blackfriars Road in London. After takeovers by James Clark & Sons (during which time the firm acquired Goddards Glass Works), then James Clark & Eaton, the studio was bought by Charles Clark and renamed Goddard & Gibbs Studios in 1978. Their chief designer after this was John Lawson (1932-2009), although prior to this other artists, notably A.E. Buss, George Cooper-Abbs and Caroline Swash, designed for the firm.

Show signatures and maker's marks

Your search found 6 results.
  St Elfod and Nennius St Elfod and Nennius
firm/studio: Goddard & Gibbs
designer: Maud Francis Eyston Sumner
1958
Church of St Michael, Abergele, Conwy
south wall of the sanctuary
  The Calling of St Matthew The Calling of St Matthew
firm/studio: Goddard & Gibbs
designer: Maud Francis Eyston Sumner
about 1960
Christ Church, Prestatyn, Denbighshire
south wall of the south aisle
  The Healing of Blind Bartimaeus The Healing of Blind Bartimaeus
firm/studio: Goddard & Gibbs
designer: Maud Francis Eyston Sumner
about 1962
Christ Church, Prestatyn, Denbighshire
south wall of the south aisle
  The Baptism of Christ The Baptism of Christ
firm/studio: Goddard & Gibbs
artist: A. E. Buss
1962
Whitson Church, Whitson, Newport
south wall of the nave (baptistry)
  The Baptism of Christ The Baptism of Christ
firm/studio: Goddard & Gibbs
1992
Church of St Teilo, Merthyr Mawr, Bridgend
south wall of the nave
  St Luke Instructing a Child St Luke Instructing a Child
firm/studio: Goddard & Gibbs
2002
Church of St Luke, Cwmdare, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
north wall of the nave




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
NEW BOOK: Stained Glass from Welsh Churches: by Martin Crampin

This fully illustrated hardback outlines the range and development of stained glass in Wales from the 14th century until today.

Order online at www.ylolfa.com
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2014 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2014