Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Lavers, Barraud & Westlake (1855-1820s)

London-based firm originally established in 1855 by Nathaniel Wood Lavers (1828-1911). The firm changed its name several times with the arrival and departure of each partner. Francis Barraud (1824-1900) became a partner in 1858 and Nathaniel Westlake joined the partnership in 1868, having designed for the firm since 1858. After the death of Barraud in 1900 the firm was known as Lavers, Westlake and Co., although Westlake had been the sole proprietor since 1880. After 1909 the company became N H J Westlake, London, and closed in the 1920s.

Further reading

Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), p. 77.

Albert Charles Sewter, The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle (New Haven; London: Yale University Press, 1974), vol. I, pp. 13-4.



Show signatures and maker's marks

Your search found 32 results.
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
artist: Alfred Bell
firm/studio: N. W. Lavers
about 1855
Church of St Cynwyl, Aberporth, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel
  West Window West Window
firm/studio: N. W. Lavers
about 1856
Church of St Cynwyl, Aberporth, Ceredigion
west wall of the nave
  Christ Raising the Daughter of Jairus and the Son of the Widow of Nain Christ Raising the Daughter of Jairus and the Son of the Widow of Nain
designer: John Pollard Seddon
firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud
1862
Church of St Peter, Dixton, Monmouthshire
south wall of the nave
  Scenes from the Resurrection of Christ Scenes from the Resurrection of Christ
firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud
1864
Church of St Brynach, Nevern, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the sanctuary
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud
about 1864
Church of St David, Blaenporth, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud
1865
Church of St Dogmael, Meline, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Passion of Christ Scenes from the Passion of Christ
firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud
1865
Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire
north wall of the nave
  Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ Christ the Good Shepherd with Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud
about 1868
Christ Church, Prestatyn, Denbighshire
east wall of south aisle chapel (Lady Chapel)
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: Lavers, Barraud & Westlake
about 1868
Church of St Cadoc, Raglan, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion and the Last Supper The Crucifixion and the Last Supper
firm/studio: Lavers, Barraud & Westlake
1872
Church of St Cynfarch and St Mary, Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, Denbighshire
east wall of the north nave




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017