Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST468904
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
An early medieval monastic site was established at Caerwent within the old walls of the former Roman town. The chancel of the present church is of the thirteenth century, and the nave, south arcade, west tower and porch are also of medieval date. Chancel restored by G.E. Halliday in 1893-4, who also built the south aisle and south vestry in 1910-12. Sanctuary fittings and altar rails by G.G. Pace.

People associated with this site
   as architect: G. E. Halliday


Works at this site:
  Christ the Good Shepherd with St Stephen Christ the Good Shepherd with St Stephen
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1884
Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Passion of Christ Scenes from the Passion of Christ
firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud
1865
Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire
north wall of the nave
  St Michael with St Nicholas and St George St Michael with St Nicholas and St George
firm/studio: Joseph Bell & Son
artist: Edward A. Woore
1948
Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire
west wall of the tower



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017