Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Shrigley & Hunt (1874-1982)

Firm founded in Lancaster 1874 by Arthur Hunt when he took over Hudson & Shrigley. Having worked for Heaton and Butler & Bayne at the time that Henry Holiday was supplying designs for the firm, he also sought to supply lighter, more natural and intelligible interpretations of biblical and other narratives in stained glass. His principal designer was Carl Almquist, a pupil of Henry Holiday, who with E.H. Jewitt (1849-1929) was responsible for most of the output for forty years. Their work is characterised by good design and a debt to the Pre-Raphaelite tradition of Edward Burne-Jones. Hunt died in 1917, but the firm continued until 1982 under the leadership of Joseph Fisher (1911-82), who progressively modernised the output of the firm.

Further reading

William Waters, Stained Glass from Shrigley & Hunt of Lancaster and London (Lancaster: Centre for North-West Regional Studies University of Lancaster, 2003).

Barrie Armstrong and Wendy Armstrong, The Arts and Crafts Movement in the North West of England: A Handbook (Wetherby: Oblong, 2005), p. 262-3.

Martin Harrison, Victorian Stained Glass (London: 1980), p. 55.



Show signatures and maker's marks

Your search found 30 results.
  St John the Baptist with Angels St John the Baptist with Angels
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
probably late nineteenth century
Church of St Mary, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south aisle
  The Symbols of the Four Evangelists The Symbols of the Four Evangelists
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
Church of St Mary, Betws-y-coed, Conwy
west wall of the nave
  Crucifixion with Mary, John and Mary Magdalene Crucifixion with Mary, John and Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
designer: Carl Almquist
1886
Church of St Bledrws, Betws Bledrws, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel
  St David and St Tudful St David and St Tudful
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
designer: Henry Wilson
donor: William Thomas Lewis
1887
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
south wall of the south aisle (Lady Chapel)
  Angels Holding the Beatitudes Angels Holding the Beatitudes
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
designer: Carl Almquist
1887
Church of St Bledrws, Betws Bledrws, Ceredigion
nave
  St Michael St Michael
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
designer: Carl Almquist
about 1887
Church of St Bledrws, Betws Bledrws, Ceredigion
west end of the nave
  Two Angels Two Angels
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
artist: Carl Almquist
1887
Church of St Bledrws, Betws Bledrws, Ceredigion
porch
West Window
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
probably about 1895
Church of St Tysilio, Llantysilio, Denbighshire
west wall of the nave
  The Adoration of the Shepherds The Adoration of the Shepherds
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
1894
Church of St Mary, Bangor, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
  St David and St Asaph St David and St Asaph
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
1909
St David's Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
north wall of the Chapel of St Thomas




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2016 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2016