Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO04980625
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Church built 1846-7 in an Early English Gothic style by T. H. Wyatt and David Brandon, as a daughter church to the medieval parish church of St Tydfil for English-speaking Anglicans. There was a partial reordering of the church in 1868-9 by Edward Brigden.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Thomas Henry Wyatt
   as architect: David Brandon


Works at this site:
  Scenes and Figures from the Bible Scenes and Figures from the Bible
firm/studio: A. K. Nicholson Stained Glass Studios
1936
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
east wall of the chancel
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
probably 1860s or 70s
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
north wall of the sanctuary
  Virgin and Child with the Burial of Sarah Virgin and Child with the Burial of Sarah
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1860
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
south wall of the sanctuary
  The Light of the World The Light of the World
1907
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
east wall of the south aisle (Lady Chapel)
  St David and St Tudful St David and St Tudful
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
designer: Henry Wilson
donor: William Thomas Lewis
1887
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
south wall of the south aisle (Lady Chapel)
  Miriam and the Virgin Mary Miriam and the Virgin Mary
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1874
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
south wall of the south aisle
  St Teilo and St Maelog St Teilo and St Maelog
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
about 1922
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
south wall of the south aisle
  Decorative Windows Decorative Windows
designer: John Coates Carter
1922
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
north and south walls
  Christian Symbols Christian Symbols
firm/studio: Glantawe Studios
designer: Rika Schrinner
2007
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
west wall of the north aisle




Other sites at Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan
Church of St Margaret
Church of St Tydfil

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017