Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Works containing this subject

'menorah', golden seven-branched candlestick, kept in the Tabernacle
12A4231


According to the Bible, a menorah was used in the Tabernacle (the portable sanctuary used by the Hebrews) and later in its successor, the Temple in Jerusalem. It was one of the three chief furnishings of the Temple. It was beaten from a single piece of gold. A lamp burning olive oil was located at the end of each of the seven branches. Since the destruction of the Temple ground, the seven-branched menorah has had no formal role in Jewish worship. Because of the sanctity of the Temple and its appointments, some authorities forbid the manufacture of menorah resembling the one used there.

Browse full subject index  List related subjects

  Chanukah    from    Jewish Festivals Chanukah
from Jewish Festivals

about 1955
Cardiff United Synagogue, Cyncoed, Cardiff
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
designer: T. F. Curtis
1888
Church of St Mary, Ruabon, Wrexham
west end of the south aisle
  Christ with the Doctors in the Temple Christ with the Doctors in the Temple
1883
Church of St John the Baptist, Clydach, Swansea
south wall of the nave (window number: sV)
  The Presentation of Christ in the Temple The Presentation of Christ in the Temple
artist: Alfred L. Wilkinson
1947
Church of St Arvan, St Arvans, Monmouthshire
west wall of the south aisle


 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2021 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2021