Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd

formerly in: Caernarfonshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: SH5771
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Cathedral (Anglican)
Twelfth century foundation on earlier site of the monastery of St Deiniol. Extended eastwards in the thirteenth century and transepts between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. Nave rebuilt in the fourteenth century. Extensive reconstruction fifteenth-sixteenth century, with western tower by 1532. Major restoration 1868-84 by Sir Gilbert Scott, though his plans for a central tower with tall spire were only very partially realised.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Oldrid Scott
   as architect: George Gilbert Scott


Works at this site:
  Te Deum Windows Te Deum Windows
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: James Hogan
designer: J. W. Brown
1911
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
north wall of the north aisle
  Aaron, Moses and David Aaron, Moses and David
artist: David Evans
1840, 1843
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
west wall of the nave
  St Peter, St John and St Paul St Peter, St John and St Paul
artist: David Evans
1840, 1843
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
north wall of north aisle
  St Luke, St Matthew and St Mark St Luke, St Matthew and St Mark
artist: David Evans
1840
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south aisle
  Christ in Majesty with Scenes from the Bible Christ in Majesty with Scenes from the Bible
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
1886
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south transept
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1873
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
east wall of the presbytery
  Scenes from the Acts of the Apostles Scenes from the Acts of the Apostles
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1880
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the presbytery
  St Elbod, St David and St Cyndeyrn St Elbod, St David and St Cyndeyrn
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1906
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south aisle
  St Seiriol, St Ceinwen and St Cybi St Seiriol, St Ceinwen and St Cybi
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1928
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south aisle
  St Dyfrig, St Deiniol and St Beuno St Dyfrig, St Deiniol and St Beuno
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1905
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south aisle




Other sites at Bangor, Caernarfonshire
Bangor University Collection
Chapel of Church Hostel, Bangor University
Church of St David
Church of St Mary
Penrallt Baptist Chapel

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017