Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Nicholas and St Teilo, Penally, Pembrokeshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS117991
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Traditionally the birthplace of St Teilo in the sixth century. Some early medieval carved stones are preserved in the church, denoting the early-Christian importance of the site. The church was extensively renovated in 1851 by David Brandon, when mural paintings were found, but obliterated. The interior was refitted in 1884, and the windows filled with stained glass by Jones & Willis.

People associated with this site
   as architect: David Brandon


Works at this site:
The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
firm/studio: William Wailes
about 1851
Church of St Nicholas and St Teilo, Penally, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database







 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017