Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS966687
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Sixth-century monastery of St Illtud. The church was given to Tewkesbury Abbey in the eleventh century. The western church, which houses a collection of early medieval stones, is eleventh-twelfth century, rebuilt in the fifteenth century. The main, eastern, part of the church, with the chancel, is thirteenth-fourteenth century. The central tower is of the thirteenth century. The church was restored in 1888 by G.F. Lambert of Bridgend, and the western church restored in 1899 by G.E. Halliday. Halliday, with J.W. Roger, made more sensitive repairs to the nave in 1905, and in the same year, the chancel, including the fourteenth-century stone reredos, was restored by W.D. Caröe.

Church website

People associated with this site
   as architect: W. D. Caröe
   as architect: G. E. Halliday
   as architect: G. F. Lambert


Works at this site:
  Crucifixion and a Soldier Receiving the Crown of Life Crucifixion and a Soldier Receiving the Crown of Life
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1920
Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
south wall of the south aisle
  The Virgin of Mercy The Virgin of Mercy
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1890
Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
east wall of the south aisle
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1905
Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
east wall of the chancel
  Memorial Window Memorial Window
about 1910
Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
west end of the north aisle



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017