Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd

formerly in: Caernarfonshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH57317132

Church (Anglican)
Church designed by the architect A.W. Blomfield in 1888. The church was built and endowed at the expense of Elizabeth Atcherley Symes of Gorphwysfa, Bangor, as a memorial to Henry Thomas Edwards, dean of Bangor. Described as 'one of the best of its era in North Wales', but closed in early 2014.


Search for further information about Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd on Google





People associated with this site
   as architect: Arthur Blomfield


Works at this site:
  The Ascension The Ascension
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1889
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel (window number: I)
  Figure of Christ Figure of Christ
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Read
1925
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the sanctuary (window number: sII)
  St David and St George St David and St George
artist: M. D. Spooner
1923
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
east wall of the Lady Chapel (window number: sIII, sIV)
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Ernest Penwarden
1922
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the Lady Chapel (window number: sV)
  Christ in Majesty Christ in Majesty
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
probably early twentieth century
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the Lady Chapel (window number: sVI)
  St Anne St Anne
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Ernest Penwarden
1922
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the Lady Chapel (window number: sVII)
  The Sacrifice of Isaac The Sacrifice of Isaac
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1890
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south transept (window number: sVIII)
  An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb
about 1890
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the nave (window number: sIX)
  Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1890
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the nave (window number: sX)
  The Nativity The Nativity
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1890
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
north wall of the nave (window number: nIV)




Other sites at Bangor, Caernarfonshire
Bangor Cathedral
Bangor University Collection
Chapel of Church Hostel, Bangor University
Church of St Mary
Penrallt Baptist Chapel

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database







 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2018 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2018