Church of St Mary, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
formerly in: Glamorgan
N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.
Site OS Grid Ref: SO00090276
Work on the building of the church began in July 1863 and it was opened in November 1864, at a cost of about £3800. It was designed by Arthur W. Blomfield and built to serve the Welsh-speaking congregation, known for that reason as St Mair's or Eglwys Y Fair Forwyn. It was closed in 1964 and demolished in 1966, and the site is now occupied by the St Mair's Day Centre.
The sculptural carving was by G. Whittington, of Newport, Shropshire, and some of the stained glass from the church, made by Jones & Willis and Robert Newbery, is now found at the Church of St Elvan in the town.
People associated with this site
Search for further information about Church of St Mary, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff on Google
as architect: Arthur BlomfieldWorks at this site:Other sites at Aberdare, GlamorganChurch of St ElvanView this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database Works previously at this site:
Your search found 2