Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN13250582
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church located to the north of the modern seaside town of Saundersfoot. The Church of St Issell was substantially altered when largely rebuilt in the 1860s. The church is situated close to Hean Castle, which was owned by Sir W.T. Lewis, first baron Merthyr of Senghenydd, and he and his family gave various furnishings to the church.

Works at this site:
  Christ with the Virgin Mary and St John Christ with the Virgin Mary and St John
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
donor: William Thomas Lewis
1902
Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel
  St David and St Issell St David and St Issell
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1912
Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the chancel
  Scenes of Teaching and Learning Scenes of Teaching and Learning
firm/studio: William Wailes
about 1865
Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the north aisle
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1912
Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire
  St George St George
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
about 1932
Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the nave (baptistry)
  Peter's Commission Peter's Commission
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
about 1925
Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire
west wall of the south aisle (baptistry)
  St Elfan and St Tudful St Elfan and St Tudful
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
1922
Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire
west wall of the north aisle
  St Michael St Michael
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
about 1915
Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire
north wall of the north aisle



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Issell, Churchton, Pembrokeshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017