Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ071662
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Large double-naved medieval church. The church of Llanfarchell (Whitchurch or Eglwyswen) is dedicated to St Marcella (or Marcellus) and was substantially extended in the fifteenth century. The church houses very few remains of its medieval furnishings and fittings but is rich in seventeenth century memorials and stone and wood carving. The church was restored in 1908 by H. Fowler of Durham.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

Works at this site:
  Scenes from the Resurrection of Christ Scenes from the Resurrection of Christ
artist: Henry Gustave Hiller
1918
Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire
east wall of the south nave
  An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
1912
Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire
north wall of the north chancel
  Medieval Fragments Medieval Fragments
probably late-fifteenth century or early-sixteenth century
Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire
west wall of the south porch




Other sites at Denbigh, Denbighshire
Church of St Joseph
Church of St Mary

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017