Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Cennydd, Llangennith, Swansea

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS428914
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church and monastic site associated with St Cennydd, who had founded a hermitage nearby at Burry Holms according to tradtion. The church dates back to the twelfth century with thirteenth and fourteenth century work. The medieval priory was dissolved in 1441 The restoration of 1882-4 by J.B. Fowler raised the level of the floor by four feet.

For medieval history of the site see Monastic Wales

Works at this site:
  Christ with St Cennydd and St David Christ with St Cennydd and St David
about 1945
Church of St Cennydd, Llangennith, Swansea
east wall of the chancel
  St Cennydd St Cennydd
artist: William Melling
probably 1960s-1970s
Church of St Cennydd, Llangennith, Swansea
over the porch



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Cennydd, Llangennith, Swansea height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017