Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Priory Church of St Mary, Usk, Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO378008
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
The church was established as a Benedictine nunnery under the patronage of Richard de Clare (Strongbow) in about 1135, although there is a possibility that an earlier church existed on the site. Subsequently extended to the west, and a north aisle added, the church was made the parish church at the Dissolution in 1536. After further work by T.H. Wyatt in the nineteenth century, the church was restored by G.E. Halliday in 1899-1900.

History of the Priory

People associated with this site
   as architect: G. E. Halliday
   as architect: Thomas Henry Wyatt


Works at this site:
  Christ with the Virgin Mary and St John Christ with the Virgin Mary and St John
1913
Priory Church of St Mary, Usk, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Ascension with the Virgin Mary and St Mary Magdalene The Ascension with the Virgin Mary and St Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: Joseph Bell & Son
1886
Priory Church of St Mary, Usk, Monmouthshire
west wall of the nave
  Scenes from the Gospels with St Mary Magdalene Scenes from the Gospels with St Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: Joseph Bell & Son
1889
Priory Church of St Mary, Usk, Monmouthshire
south wall of the chancel
  The Raising of Lazarus with Christ Blessing Children Brought by Their Mothers The Raising of Lazarus with Christ Blessing Children Brought by Their Mothers
about 1863
Priory Church of St Mary, Usk, Monmouthshire
south wall of the nave
  The Good Samaritan with St Barnabas and St Nathaniel The Good Samaritan with St Barnabas and St Nathaniel
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
1925
Priory Church of St Mary, Usk, Monmouthshire
south wall of the nave
  Patterned Glass Patterned Glass
medieval, restored in the nineteenth century
Priory Church of St Mary, Usk, Monmouthshire



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Priory Church of St Mary, Usk, Monmouthshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017