Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST046834
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Dedicated to three saints, Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, the church is likely to be an early foundation. The present church was built in around 1246. The tower dates to the late fifteenth century and the south porch to the seventeenth century. The restoration of 1872-4 by John Prichard was controversial, the medieval five bay nave arcades and roof being destroyed. The west end was not restored until the 1890s.

Parish website

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Prichard


Works at this site:
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
patron: John Prichard
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1873
Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff
east wall of the chancel
  The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene
about 1874
Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff
south wall of the chancel
  Peter's Commission Peter's Commission
about 1874
Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff
south wall of the chancel
  St Paul with St Peter and St John St Paul with St Peter and St John
artist: G. E. Cook
1872
Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff
south wall of the south aisle
  Soldier Receiving the Crown of Life with St George and St David Soldier Receiving the Crown of Life with St George and St David
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
about 1920
Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff
south wall of the south aisle
  Christ the Good Shepherd with Heraldry Christ the Good Shepherd with Heraldry
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Ernest Penwarden
designer: J. Hodges
1936
Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff
north wall of the north aisle



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of Illtyd, Gwynno and Dyfodwg, Llantrisant, Rhondda Cynon Taff height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
Llantrisant_DSC4144A.jpg




 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017