Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St John, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO066078
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Church built in 1827 at the instigation and expense of John Josiah Guest for his workers. Guest contributed £3000 towards the cost, and asssisted with the maintenance of the clergy. In 1839 a new parish of Dowlais was created, and St John's was one of six churches in the parish, although by 1977 there were only two. The church is oriented north, and a chancel was added in 1873. The transept on the west side was built in 1881. The nave was restored at a cost of £4,500 by the architect E.A. Johnson of Abergavenny in 1893-4, after which the three-bay arcade in the west (liturgical north) wall was all that remained of the original church. The church has been closed since 2001.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Edwin Arthur Johnson


Works at this site:
  The Ascension The Ascension
1884
Church of St John, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
(liturgical) east wall of the chancel
  Faith, Hope and Charity Faith, Hope and Charity
last quarter of the nineteenth century
Church of St John, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
(liturgical) north and south walls of the chancel
  The Risen Christ, Christ the Light of the World and Christ the Good Shepherd The Risen Christ, Christ the Light of the World and Christ the Good Shepherd
firm/studio: Jones & Willis Ltd
about 1900
Church of St John, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
(liturgical) north wall of the transept
  Christ with Mary and Martha and Christ with Children Christ with Mary and Martha and Christ with Children
probably 1890s
Church of St John, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
(liturgical) west wall of the transept
  Angel    detail from    The Creation Angel
detail from The Creation

firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
1896
Church of St John, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
(liturgical) south wall of the nave



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St John, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017