Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys

formerly in: Brecknockshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN975637

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
The medieval church on the site was replaced by a Victorian building in 1875 by J. G. Finch Noyes. The large stone by the porch suggests the possibility that the church stands on a prehistoric site. A Romanesque font survives from the earlier building.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

Works at this site:
  An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb with St Luke and St John An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb with St Luke and St John
1874
Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  St Cecilia and St Margaret St Cecilia and St Margaret
firm/studio: Joseph Bell & Son
1906
Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys
south wall of the nave
  Mother and Child with St Peter Mother and Child with St Peter
firm/studio: Wm. Pearce & E. Cutler
about 1921
Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys
north wall of the nave
  St Paul St Paul
artist: Leonard Walker
1936
Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys
west wall of the nave



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Gwrthwl, Llanwrthwl, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
Llanwrthwl_DSC2832A.jpg




 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017