formerly in: Montgomeryshire
Diocese of St Asaph
N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.
Site OS Grid Ref: SJ05770234
Photo © Martin Crampinlarger image
An early Christian site, associated with Gwyddelan, or Llorcan Wyddel. It was subsequently adopted as a monastic site, founded by Maredudd ap Robert as a Cistercian nunnery sometime before 1188. Much of the building dates from the late fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.
Monastic Wales website
CPAT Historic Churches Survey
| Tracery Figures|
detail from The Crucifixion with Medieval Fragments
second half of the fifteenth century, restored in 1891
Church of St Mary, Llanllugan, Powys
east wall of the chancel
Photo © Martin Crampin