Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Mary, Carew, Pembrokeshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: SN0403
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Tower dates from around 1500. Chancel and transept probably by Bishop Henry de Gower of St Davids 1328-47. Nave arcades fifteenth century. Porch fifteenth-sixteenth century. Heavily if not ruthlessly restored 1836-38 by Richard Barrett, a local Pembrokeshire builder, who also erected the Vicarage (now Grove Manor) at the same time. Again restored 1857 by David Brandon, and lightly 1908 by W. D. Caroe. In the churchyard is a fourteenth century charnel house with chapel over, converted to a schoolroom in the seventeenth century. Compare with the Fishermen's Chapel of St Nicholas at Angle.

People associated with this site
   as architect: David Brandon


Works at this site:
  Scenes from the Resurrection of Christ Scenes from the Resurrection of Christ
firm/studio: Alexander Gibbs & Co.
1879
Church of St Mary, Carew, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel
  Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ the Light of the World Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ the Light of the World
firm/studio: A. L. Moore & Son
1912
Church of St Mary, Carew, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the north transept



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Mary, Carew, Pembrokeshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017