Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys

formerly in: Brecknockshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO044290
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Cathedral (Anglican)
Fomerly the Priory Church of St John the Evangelist, dating back to the twelfth century, when the church was founded as a cell of Battle Abbey (Sussex). Much of the church was built during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, with numerous subsequent alterations. The church was home to the famous Brecon rood and the large decorated twelfth century font remains in the nave. Following the dissolution in 1536, the building served as the parish church until the creation of the new diocese for Swansea and Brecon, when the priory church was made its cathedral. Modern restorations by George Gilbert Scott (1861–72) and W.D. Caröe (1925–37).

Cathedral website
Monastic Wales

People associated with this site
   as architect: George Gilbert Scott
   as architect: W. D. Caröe


Works at this site:
  The Crucifixion with Scenes from the Bible The Crucifixion with Scenes from the Bible
firm/studio: Taylor & O'Connor
probably 1870s
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the presbytery
  The Last Supper The Last Supper
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1864
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
south wall of the presbytery
  The Adoration of the Magi The Adoration of the Magi
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Ernest Penwarden
designer: Read
about 1925
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the south transept chapel (Chapel of St Lawrence)
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Coakes
1931
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
south wall of the south transept chapel (Chapel of St Lawrence)
  The Annunciation and the Entombment The Annunciation and the Entombment
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
1920s
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the north transept chapel (Harvard Chapel)
  St David and St George St David and St George
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Ernest Penwarden
designer: Read
about 1921
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
north wall of the north transept chapel (Harvard Chapel)
  St Andrew and St Patrick St Andrew and St Patrick
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Ernest Penwarden
designer: Read
about 1921
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
north wall of the north transept chapel (Harvard Chapel)
  St Joan of Arc, St Martin and St Edmund St Joan of Arc, St Martin and St Edmund
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
about 1921
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
north wall of the north transept chapel (Harvard Chapel)
  Christ in Majesty with Military Saints Christ in Majesty with Military Saints
about 1902
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
north wall of the north transept
  Christ the Good Shepherd with Angels Christ the Good Shepherd with Angels
probably early twentieth century
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
south wall of the south aisle




Other sites at Brecon, Brecknockshire
Christ College Chapel
Church of St Mary

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
BreconCath_DSC5505.jpg




 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017