Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Priory Church of St Mary, Chepstow, Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST535939
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Founded 1067-71 by William FitzOsbern, Earl of Hereford as a dependency of his earlier foundation, the Benedictine abbey of Cormeilles in Normandy. Core of the church is the eleventh-century nave of the priory church. Quire demolished at dissolution in 1536. Norman crossing tower fell 1701 destroying the transepts. West tower eighteenth century within the nave, thus preserving part of the west front. Aisles demolished 1838-41. Neo-Norman north transept 1838-41 by T.H. Wyatt and Brandon. Seddon & Carter (principally John Coates Carter) built new chancel and south transept 1896-7 and 1904-5, though the design was left incomplete.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Coates Carter
   as architect: Thomas Henry Wyatt


Works at this site:
  The Ascension The Ascension
firm/studio: Lavers, Barraud & Westlake
1896
Priory Church of St Mary, Chepstow, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Wedding at Cana The Wedding at Cana
firm/studio: Lavers, Barraud & Westlake
1877
Priory Church of St Mary, Chepstow, Monmouthshire
south wall of the south aisle
  The Feeding of the Multitude The Feeding of the Multitude
firm/studio: Lavers, Barraud & Westlake
1877
Priory Church of St Mary, Chepstow, Monmouthshire
south wall of the nave
  St Cecilia and David St Cecilia and David
about 1950
Priory Church of St Mary, Chepstow, Monmouthshire
south wall of the nave
  Figure outside Solomon's Temple Figure outside Solomon's Temple
firm/studio: Samuel Evans
1896
Priory Church of St Mary, Chepstow, Monmouthshire
south wall of the nave



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database







 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017