Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys

formerly in: Montgomeryshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN907799
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
The site was reputedly given in the twelfth century to Strata Florida Abbey, and the church was built here in the twelfth-thirteenth century. The tower dates to around 1350, and the north aisle to the fifteenth century. The church was restored in 1878 by George Gilbert Scott and Arthur Baker, under the patronage of the Revd Chevalier J. Y. W. Lloyd of Clochfaen (1816-87), who provided £11000 for the work. The unusual scheme of stained glass, by Burlison & Grylls, was under his direction. Tower restored 1983-85.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey
Church website

People associated with this site
   as architect: George Gilbert Scott


Works at this site:
  St Michael with the Seven Acts of Mercy St Michael with the Seven Acts of Mercy
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
  Historical Scenes Historical Scenes
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1878
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
  St Michael Slaying a Red Dragon St Michael Slaying a Red Dragon
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1878
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
  Virgin and Child with Local Historical Characters Virgin and Child with Local Historical Characters
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1878
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
north wall of the north aisle
  St Curig with Heraldry St Curig with Heraldry
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
  St Elidan and St Maurice St Elidan and St Maurice
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
  St Dunawd with Heraldry St Dunawd with Heraldry
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1879
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017