Christ College Chapel, Brecon, Powys
formerly in: Brecknockshire
N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.
Site OS Grid Ref: SO042284
Extra-parochial Chapel (Anglican)
Founded around 1250 as a Friary of the Dominican Order and orginally dedicated to St Nicholas. Dissolved in 1538 and refounded in 1541 by Henry VIII as a Prebendal College. Revived as a school in the 1850s. Chapel served as the parish church of Llanfaes until 1878, but since then only as a Chapel to Christ College School, occupying the chancel of the thirteenth Century Dominican Friary Church. Nave aisles fourteenth century. Nave and aisles ruinous by the seventeenth century. Chancel only restored by Bishop William Lucy in 1660s. Rebuilt in the mid-nineteenth century by J. P. Seddon & J. Prichard.People associated with this site
as architect: John Pollard Seddon
as architect: John PrichardWorks at this site:Other sites at Brecon, BrecknockshireBrecon CathedralChurch of St MaryView this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database