Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ315659
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church restored in 1855-6 by James Harrison of Chester, although a fire necessitated a further restoration by Gilbert Scott. The Gladstone Memorial Chapel was consecrated in 1902, containing effigies of William Ewart Gladstone and his wife. The west window of 1898, in memory of Gladstone, by Edward Burne-Jones is his last window and much celebrated.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

People associated with this site
   as architect: George Gilbert Scott


Works at this site:
  Angel Musicians Angel Musicians
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1911
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
south wall of the south aisle
  St Martin and St George St Martin and St George
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1913
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
south wall of the south aisle
  Fides and Caritas Fides and Caritas
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1911
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
west end of the north wall
  Sower and Reapers Sower and Reapers
artist: Edward Frampton
about 1886
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall of the north aisle
  St Bartholemew and Gregory the Illuminator St Bartholemew and Gregory the Illuminator
artist: Edward Frampton
1896
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall by entrance to Gladstone Chapel
  Ezechiel, Jeremiah and Isaiah Ezechiel, Jeremiah and Isaiah
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: William Richmond
1906
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall of Gladstone Chapel
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: William Richmond
about 1906
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
east wall of the Gladstone Chapel
  Angel Musicians Angel Musicians
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1908
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall of the chancel
  St Elizabeth of Hungary St Elizabeth of Hungary
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: William Richmond
about 1906
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
east wall of Gladstone Chapel
  St Catherine of Siena St Catherine of Siena
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: William Richmond
about 1906
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
east wall of Gladstone Chapel




Other sites at Hawarden, Flintshire
Church of the Sacred Heart

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales



Other images of this site
Hawarden_DSC1171B.jpg




 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017