Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ123583
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Church recorded 1291 as a college of canons under a dean. In 1310 John de Grey petitioned the bishop of St Asaph for permission to build a new collegiate church within the town and it was constructed between 1310 and 1315. The cloisters of that date survive. South nave dates to the late fourteenth century, and the nave roof to the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century. The College was dissolved around 1536-9, but was refounded in 1589-90 by Dean Gabriel Goodman of Westminster (a native of Ruthin) as an almshouse, to complement the school he had founded 1574. The chancel was demolished in 1663. Much restoration was undertaken in the early nineteenth century and again during 1855-58 by R.K. Penson. The new spire was added in 1858 and the church re-opened 1859.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Richard Kyrke Penson


Works at this site:
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: William Wailes
1855
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
about 1868
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
west wall of the south nave
  Noah and St John the Baptist Noah and St John the Baptist
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: Augustus Jules Bouvier
1855
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
north wall of the north aisle
  Decorative Window Decorative Window
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
west wall of the north aisle
  Two Roundels Two Roundels
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
north wall of the north aisle




Other sites at Ruthin, Denbighshire
English Presbyterian Church

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017