Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Tabernacl, Morriston, Swansea, Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS669978
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Chapel (Welsh Independent)
Tabernacle Chapel in Morriston was built in 1872-3, on the initiative of the tinplate manufacturer Daniel Edwards, by John Humphrey of Morriston at a cost of between £8000 and £10000. With a seating capacity of nearly 1500, it has been aptly described as 'the cathedral of Welsh nonconformity'.

Chapel website

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Humphrey


Works at this site:
  The Armour of God The Armour of God
firm/studio: Camm & Co.
1922
Tabernacl, Morriston, Swansea
front wall, upper floor
  Receiving the Crown of Life Receiving the Crown of Life
firm/studio: Camm & Co.
1922
Tabernacl, Morriston, Swansea
front wall, upper floor
  Flowers and Miner's Lamp    detail from    Christian Symbols Flowers and Miner's Lamp
detail from Christian Symbols

firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1950
Tabernacl, Morriston, Swansea
porch




Other sites at Morriston, Swansea, Glamorgan
Bethania
Seion Newydd

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database







 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017