Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of All Saints, Llangorwen, Ceredigion

formerly in: Cardiganshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN603838
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
1841 by H. J. Underwood of Oxford, the architect of John Henry Newman's 1835 church at Littlemore. Porch, west front and tower 1849-50 by William Butterfield. Church built by M.D. Williams of Cwmcynfelin, the local landowner, whose brother was the Tractarian theologian and poet Isaac Williams (who had been Newman's curate). Stone altar the first in Wales since the Reformation. Lectern given either by Newman or John Keble; chandeliers in cast bronze given probably by Isaac Williams, who preached at the consecration. Possibly the work of Hardmans to designs by Pugin. The church, largely unchanged inside and out, is an essay in early Tractarianism and signally historically and artistically important as such in Wales.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Henry Jones Underwood


Works at this site:
  Scenes from the Gospels Scenes from the Gospels
firm/studio: William Wailes
1842
Church of All Saints, Llangorwen, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel
  St John the Evangelist    from    St John and Christ with Children St John the Evangelist
from St John and Christ with Children

firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1950
Church of All Saints, Llangorwen, Ceredigion
nave
  Dorcas Dorcas
firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1956
Church of All Saints, Llangorwen, Ceredigion
north wall
  St Padarn    from    St David and St Padarn St Padarn
from St David and St Padarn

firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1950
Church of All Saints, Llangorwen, Ceredigion
nave
  The Good Shepherd with Virgin and Child The Good Shepherd with Virgin and Child
artist: Christopher Charles Powell
1938
Church of All Saints, Llangorwen, Ceredigion
nave
  The Good Samaritan and the Three Women at the Empty Tomb    from    Scenes from the Bible The Good Samaritan and the Three Women at the Empty Tomb
from Scenes from the Bible

firm/studio: Charles Evans & Co Ltd
1889
Church of All Saints, Llangorwen, Ceredigion
west wall of the nave



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of All Saints, Llangorwen, Ceredigion height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017