Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham

formerly in: Denbighshire/Flintshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ346549
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church, dating back to the thirteenth and fourteenth century, although it was rebuilt in the late-fifteenth century. There have been various alterations since the eighteenth century, including the addition of the north and south porches. The church has undergone restoration work by G.E. Street (1865-7 and 1871), W.D. Caröe (chancel steps and Lady Chapel, 1913-14) and F.H. Crossley (chancel roof, 1929-31). All Saints Gresford is justly regarded by some as the finest parish church in Wales. The church is home to the largest quantity of medieval stained glass in Wales, a late medieval carved screen and misericords, as well as further medieval carved ornament on the exterior. Further tombs and memorials from a range of periods.

Church website

CPAT Historic Churches Survey


Search for further information about Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham on Google





People associated with this site
   as architect: W. D. Caröe
   as architect: George Edmund Street
   as architect: F. H. Crossley


Works at this site:
  Te Deum and Tree of Jesse Te Deum and Tree of Jesse
restorer: Clayton & Bell
1500, restored in 1867
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
east wall of the chancel (window number: I)
  Medieval Fragments including Scenes from the Lives of St John the Baptist and St Anthony Medieval Fragments including Scenes from the Lives of St John the Baptist and St Anthony
restorer: Clayton & Bell
early sixteenth century, restored in 1915-16
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
east end of the south aisle chapel (Trevor, or St Catherine's, Chapel) (window number: sII)
  Glass Fragments Glass Fragments
about 1500 and about 1800
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
south wall of the south aisle chapel (Trevor, or St Catherine's, Chapel) (window number: sIII)
  Medieval Fragments Medieval Fragments
about 1500
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
south wall of the south aisle chapel (Trevor, or St Catherine's, Chapel) (window number: sIV)
  St John the Baptist, St Philip, St Paul and St Stephen St John the Baptist, St Philip, St Paul and St Stephen
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1883
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
south wall of the nave (window number: sV)
  The Armies of Heaven The Armies of Heaven
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
1873, with fragments from about 1500
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
south wall of the nave (window number: sVI)
  Scenes from the Old Testament Scenes from the Old Testament
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1872
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
south wall of the nave (window number: sVII)
  Scenes from the Life of David Scenes from the Life of David
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
about 1874, with fragments from about 1500
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
south wall of the nave (window number: sVIII)
  Moses and Scenes from the Passion Moses and Scenes from the Passion
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
about 1875
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
south wall of the nave (window number: sIX)
  Italian Glass Fragments with Angels Italian Glass Fragments with Angels
seventeenth or eighteenth century
Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham
south porch (window number: sX-sXI)



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of All Saints, Gresford, Wrexham height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2018 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2018