Church of St Chad, Holt, Wrexham
formerly in: Denbighshire
N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.
Site OS Grid Ref: SJ412541
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]
Photo © Martin Crampinlarger image
Medieval church mainly attributable to the fifteenth century and the patronage of William Stanley, although some details survive from the fourteenth century. The church suffered some damage during the Civil War, when it was occupied by Parliamentarian forces. There was some renovation in 1732 and a major restoration in 1871–3, planned by Ewan Christian and undertaken by John Douglas of Chester.
In the sixteenth century the Church of St Chad was in the possession of St Stephen's, Westminster, and then the Dean and Chapter at Winchester. It was transferred to the Diocese of St Asaph in 1861.CPAT Historic Churches Survey
People associated with this site
Search for further information about Church of St Chad, Holt, Wrexham on Google
as architect: John Douglas
as architect: Ewan ChristianWorks at this site:
Photo © Martin Crampin