Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St James, Uplands, Swansea, Glamorgan


Diocese of Swansea & Brecon     (formerly: St Davids)

Church (Anglican)

Church built in 18631867 by Thomas Nicholson of Hereford as a daughter church of St Mary, Swansea, with the patronage of the Walters family of Swansea. The proposed tower and spire were never constructed. The church suffered war damage and has lost nearly all of its pre-war stained glass, which included work by Mayer of Munich. The parish of Swansea St James was created as an independent parish in 1985.

Church website

view on the National Monuments Record (Coflein)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Works at this site:
  Te Deum Laudamus Te Deum Laudamus
firm/studio: A. K. Nicholson Stained Glass Studios
designer: Gerald Edward Roberts Smith
1954
Church of St James, Uplands, Swansea
east wall of chancel
  The Ship of the Church The Ship of the Church
firm/studio: A. K. Nicholson Stained Glass Studios
designer: Gerald Edward Roberts Smith
1956
Church of St James, Uplands, Swansea
west wall
image not available Hierarchy of Angels
firm/studio: J. A. Forrest & Son
1890
Church of St James, Uplands, Swansea
north transept
image not available Aisle Window
firm/studio: William Morris & Co (Westminster)
probably 1920s
Church of St James, Uplands, Swansea
aisle

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS64369295



Search for further information about Church of St James, Uplands, Swansea, Glamorgan on Google



Other sites at Uplands, Swansea, Glamorgan
Swansea Synagogue

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database







 
Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies


Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin © 2011-2024