Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

St Woolos Cathedral, Newport

formerly in: Monmouthshire


Diocese of Monmouth     (formerly: Llandaff)

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST30908760

St Woolos Cathedral, Newport _MG_0757.jpg Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image


Cathedral (Anglican)

Church reputedly located on the site of cell of St Gwynllyw, locally known as Woolos. The church was given to Gloucester Abbey in late 1093, who rebuilt the church in around 1140. St Mary's Chapel (west or Galilee chapel) was rebuilt in the thirteenth century and altered 1818. Aisles rebuilt in the fifteenth century, along with west tower. The upper stages of the tower were built by Humphrey, Earl of Stafford and Jasper Tudor, Duke of Bedford. The church was restored in 1853 by W.G. & E. Habershon. The church was raised to Cathedral status 1949, having been the pro-cathedral of the Monmouth diocese since 1921. The chancel was extended by A.D.R. Caroe 1960-4, when the John Piper window was added.

view on the National Monuments Record (Coflein)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about St Woolos Cathedral, Newport on Google



Works at this site:
  A Light to Lighten the Gentiles A Light to Lighten the Gentiles
firm/studio: John Hardman & Co.
about 1890
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
east wall of the south aisle
  East Window and Reredos East Window and Reredos
designer: John Piper
artist: Patrick Reyntiens
1963
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
east wall of the chancel
  The Parable of the Good Samaritan The Parable of the Good Samaritan
firm/studio: John Hardman & Co.
1875
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of the south aisle
  Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers
firm/studio: John Hardman & Co.
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
west wall of north aisle
  Virgin Mary Virgin Mary
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of Galilee Chapel
  St Anne St Anne
about 1916
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of St Mary's Chapel
  St Elizabeth St Elizabeth
about 1916
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of St Mary's Chapel
Welsh Saints
firm/studio: William Pearce Ltd
1915
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
south wall of the south aisle
Windows
about 1970
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
north wall of St Mary's Chapel
Christ with the Doctors in the Temple
firm/studio: S. Belham & Co.
1891
St Woolos Cathedral, Newport
unknown

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

Other sites at Newport, Monmouthshire

Church of St John the Baptist
Church of St Matthew
Church of St Patrick
Church of St Paul
Llanthewy Road Baptist Church
Synagogue
Victoria Road United Reformed Church

St Woolos Cathedral, Newport height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2020 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2020