Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SM979014
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Priory Church of St Nicholas & St John (Evangelist). Founded by Arnulph Montgomery c.1098 and given to the Benedictine Abbey of St Martin, Seez, Normandy. Nave (thirteenth century) only used as parish church after the dissolution. Restored 1887-95 by John Prichard of Llandaff, who returned the original priory quire to use.

For further history of the medieval house see Monastic Wales.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Prichard


Works at this site:
  Solomon with a Model of the Temple and Attendant Figures Solomon with a Model of the Temple and Attendant Figures
firm/studio: Percy Bacon Brothers
about 1920
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the north chancel chapel
  Hiram King of Tyre Hiram King of Tyre
firm/studio: Percy Bacon Brothers
about 1920
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
north wall of the north chancel chapel
  Boaz and Jachin Boaz and Jachin
firm/studio: Percy Bacon Brothers
about 1920
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
north wall of the north chancel chapel
  The Crucifixion with Scenes from the Early Life of Christ The Crucifixion with Scenes from the Early Life of Christ
firm/studio: Herbert Davis
1904
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel
  Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ the Light of the World Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ the Light of the World
firm/studio: Herbert Davis
1906
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the chancel
Christ in the House of Martha and Mary
firm/studio: Herbert Davis
1906
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
south wall of sanctuary
  Martha and Woman with Children Martha and Woman with Children
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the chancel
  Angels Appearing to the Shepherds Angels Appearing to the Shepherds
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
about 1895-1910
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the chancel
  The Four Evangelists The Four Evangelists
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the south transept
  St Alban and St David St Alban and St David
firm/studio: Percy Bacon Brothers
about 1920
Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire
south wall of the nave



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Nicholas and St John, Monkton Priory, Pembrokeshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017