Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport, Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST326884
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Built 1859-60 by Prichard and Seddon of Llandaff. Tower completed 1911 by John Coates Carter. The church suffered bomb damage in 1941, and after severe damage in a subsequent fire the interior was reconstructed 1951-52.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Pollard Seddon
   as architect: John Prichard


Works at this site:
  Ascension with the Four Evangelists Ascension with the Four Evangelists
designer: John Pollard Seddon
firm/studio: Chance Brothers & Co.
1865
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Life of St John the Evangelist Scenes from the Life of St John the Evangelist
firm/studio: Samuel Evans
about 1873
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
east wall of the south aisle
The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
about 1930
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport
unknown
Window
firm/studio: S. Belham & Co.
1896
Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St John the Evangelist, Maindee, Newport, Monmouthshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales



Other images of this site
_MG_0756.jpg




 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017