Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly

formerly in: Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO166003
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church with an unusual plan of two naves divided by an arcade, which is of the early thirteenth century and probably the oldest part of the church. The naves were restored 1858-9 by W.G. & E. Habershon. The chancel was reconstructed 1903-05 by G.E. Halliday, and the vestry was added in 1909-10 by E.P. Warren.

People associated with this site
   as architect: G. E. Halliday
   as architect: E. P. Warren


Works at this site:
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
1910
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
east wall of the chancel
  Dorcas Dorcas
artist: A. J. Davies
about 1925
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
south wall of the sanctuary
  St Gwynllyw with St Cadog and St Gwladys St Gwynllyw with St Cadog and St Gwladys
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
south wall of the south nave (baptistry)
  Faith, Hope and Charity Faith, Hope and Charity
firm/studio: J. Wippell & Co. Ltd
1917
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
north wall of the north aisle
  The Crucifixion with Soldiers The Crucifixion with Soldiers
firm/studio: J. Wippell & Co. Ltd
1916
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
north wall of the north nave
  St Michael with St David and St Senan St Michael with St David and St Senan
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1896
Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
west wall of the north nave



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database


Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly height=

Photo © Martin Crampin








 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017