Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: SO2914
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Benedictine Priory founded 1087 by Hamelin de Ballon, benefactor of the Benedictine abbey of St Vincent, Le Mans, of which house Abergavenny became a dependency. The church was rebuilt during the fourteenth century by John, Lord Hastings. Restored 1828 and again 1881-82 by Thomas Nicholson of Hereford. Restored again in 1896 by E.A. Johnson.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Edwin Arthur Johnson


Works at this site:
  Virgin and Child with St Christopher and St Michael Virgin and Child with St Christopher and St Michael
artist: F. C. Eden
1922
Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Nativity and Scenes from the Early Life of Christ The Nativity and Scenes from the Early Life of Christ
designer: Frederick W. Cole
1957
Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
north transept
  New Testament Saints New Testament Saints
designer: John Winbolt
1916
Priory Church of St Mary, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
nave



View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database







 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017