Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire


Diocese of St Davids     (formerly: St Davids)

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SM75162543

St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire _MG_4860.jpg Photo © Martin Crampin

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image


Cathedral (Anglican)

The present cathedral was begun in 1181 on an early monastic site traditionally associated with St David. The cathedral was enriched by Bishop Gower in the second quarter of the fourteenth century when the pulpitum was constructed, and the nave roof and ceiling were completed in the 1530s. However the relics of David and Justinian were removed in 1538 by Bishop Barlow, and in 1648 much of the building was destroyed by Parliamentarian soldiers. The west front was built in 1793 by John Nash and George Gilbert Scott restored much of the building from 1862-77. The eastern chapels, including the Lady Chapel, were restored from 1900-10.

Cathedral website

view on the National Monuments Record (Coflein)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire on Google



People associated with this site
   as architect: John Oldrid Scott
   as architect: George Gilbert Scott
   as architect: John Nash


Works at this site:
  Crossing the Red Sea Crossing the Red Sea
firm/studio: William Morris & Co (Westminster)
designer: Frederick W. Cole
1956
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
west end of the south aisle (baptistry)
  Symbols from Revelation Symbols from Revelation
firm/studio: William Morris & Co (Westminster)
designer: Frederick W. Cole
1956
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
west wall of the north aisle
  The Risen Christ with St David and St George The Risen Christ with St David and St George
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1923
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
west wall of the nave
  Three Archangels Three Archangels
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1924
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
west wall
  Virgin and Child with Musical Angels and the Four Evangelists Virgin and Child with Musical Angels and the Four Evangelists
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1924
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the Lady Chapel
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: John Hardman & Co.
designer: John Hardman Powell
1870
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the choir
  St Thomas Becket Window St Thomas Becket Window
artist: Carl J. Edwards
1958
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the Chapel of St Thomas Becket
  St David and St Asaph St David and St Asaph
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
1909
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
north wall of the Chapel of St Thomas
  St Nicholas St Nicholas
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
1904
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the Chapel of St Nicholas (north aisle of the retrochoir)
  Medieval Fragments Medieval Fragments
probably medieval
St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire
north wall of the north aisle

View this site on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

Other sites at St Davids, Pembrokeshire

Chapel of Our Lady and St Non
Tabernacl

St Davids Cathedral, St Davids, Pembrokeshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
_MG_8337.jpg




 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2019 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2019