Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Lawrence Lee (1909-2011)

Artist working in stained glass. Lawrence Stanley Lee trained initially at Kingston School of Art and then at the Royal College of Art, where he studied under Martin Travers. After this he joined Travers as an assistant in his studio, and also taught at the Royal College of Art. After the war Lawrence Lee inherited Travers' commissions when he died unexpectedly in 1948. He was appointed Head of the Stained Glass Department at the Royal College of Art, and when Basil Spence decided to commission past and present students from the department for the nave windows of Coventry Cathedral, Lawrence Lee oversaw the commissioning and designed three of the windows himself. He undertook commissions for many parish churches in the UK and abroad from the 1960s up to the 1980s.

Flickr Group

Your search found 3 results.
The Good Samaritan
artist: Lawrence Lee
1953
Church of St John the Evangelist, Gowerton, Swansea
south wall of the nave
  East Window East Window
artist: Lawrence Lee
1960
Church of St David, Betws, Carmarthenshire
east wall of the chancel
  St Cecilia and St Francis St Cecilia and St Francis
artist: Lawrence Lee
1962
Church of St Michael and All Angels, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion
north wall of the north aisle chapel




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2017 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2017