John Coates Carter (1859-1927)
Architect and designer. After initial training in the studio of John Prichard
John Coates Carter became a partner of J. P. Seddon
(1827-1906). Thereafter he developed a strikingly personal style. His knowledge of contemporary developments in mainland Europe and the USA led to what has been called 'a kind of Arts & Crafts expressionism', which is perhaps best revealed in his 1907-13 designs for Caldey Abbey, and the now sadly abandoned Church of St Luke, Abercarn (1923-26). His designs for furnishings were sometimes executed by the craftsmen of Pearce, Bunclark & Co. of Cheltenham.Further reading
Phil Thomas, 'John Coates Carter: Building a Sense of Place' in Historic Churches (2010).
John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (London/Cardiff: 1995), p. 112.
Peter Lord, The Visual Culture of Wales: Medieval Vision (CD-ROM) (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2004), Time Galleries: Church identity, Preserve the past.
Sites associated with this person
Search for further information about John Coates Carter on Google
as architect: Priory Church of St Mary
, Chepstow , Monmouthshire
as architect: Caldey Abbey
, Caldey Island , Pembrokeshire
as architect: Church of St Mary
, Rogiet , Monmouthshire
Your search found 1
result.Browse list of people in the databaseView this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database