Joan Howson (1885-1964)
Stained glass artist born in Flintshire. Joan Howson trained at Liverpool School of Art from 1909-12, and the following year became a pupil and apprentice of Caroline Townshend (1878-1944) at The Glass House in Fulham, London. After 1920 they entered into partnership as Townshend & Howson, based at The Glass House and then in Putney. After the war, and the death of Townshend, Joan Howson reopened the studio in Putney, and continued to sign windows with the initials of both artists. She also restored medieval glass, and in 1957 reset the fourteenth century panels in the east window of the Church of St Mary Magdelene, Newark, while working with the Department of Medieval Art of Oxford University.Further reading
Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), pp. 69, 120.
Show signatures and maker's marks
Your search found 3
results.Browse list of people in the databaseView this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database
NEW BOOK: Stained Glass from Welsh Churches:
by Martin Crampin
This fully illustrated hardback outlines the range and development of stained glass in Wales from the 14th century until today.
Order online at www.ylolfa.com