Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Alfred Bell (1832-1895)

Artist and designer. Born in Silton in the west country to a family of skilled carpenters and craftsmen, Alfred Bell was introduced to George Gilbert Scott by the Rector of Silton, and was offered a place in Scott's studio in 1844. He worked there with G.F. Bodley and G.E. Street before designing for Nathaniel Lavers, preferring to work in stained glass and the decorative arts, rather than as an architect. He formed a partnership with John Richard Clayton in 1856, and their firm, known as Clayton & Bell, was among the most successful firms producing stained glass in the nineteenth century. After establishing the partnership, Alfred Bell also designed for James Powell & Sons. He was a prolific watercolourist and exhibited at the Royal Academy.

Further reading

Peter Larkworthy, Clayton and Bell, Stained Glass Artists and Decorators (London: The Ecclesiological Society, 1984).

Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), p. 12.



Your search found 1 result.
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
artist: Alfred Bell
firm/studio: N. W. Lavers
about 1855
Church of St Cynwyl, Aberporth, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 
NEW BOOK: Stained Glass from Welsh Churches: by Martin Crampin

This fully illustrated hardback outlines the range and development of stained glass in Wales from the 14th century until today.

Order online at www.ylolfa.com
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2014 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2014