Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

St Gwynllyw with St Cadog and St Gwladys

  St Gwynllyw with St Cadog and St Gwladys

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

about 1956 and 1966

Three-light window with standing figures.

size: 40 cm (width of each light)
firm/studio: G. Maile & Son
designer: Arthur Walker

Church of St Sannan, Bedwellty, Caerphilly
south wall of the south nave (baptistry)

The window was installed in two stages, with the figure of Gwynllyw being commissioned in 1956, and the other figures added in 1966. The figure of Gwnyllyw, by A.S. Walker, is depicted in thirteenth-century dress to accord with the date of the building. It was given by friends of Revd James Davies, rector of the parish 1933–56, on his appointment as a canon of the diocese (in October 1953). The left-hand light of Cadog was given by Canon Davies himself, and the right-hand light of Gwladys by his wife, Mary Elizabeth Davies.

The style of the face of Gwynllyw is unlike the work of the firm in the 1950s, and is probably a restoration.

It is possible to see the tower of Bedwellty church from the site of Capel Gwladys on Gelligaer Common, and both sites are just over 1000ft above sea level (information provided by David Mills).



 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 21-11-2023

 

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.


Click here for other works at this site
Click here for other works connected to G. Maile & Son
Click here for other works connected to Arthur Walker
 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2023.
https://stainedglass.delweddau.cymru/object/4162 (accessed 25 April 2024)


 

  St Gwynllyw with St Cadog and St Gwladys

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies


Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin © 2011-2024