Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

Saints and Donors

  Saints and Donors

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

1530-1542, reset in the nineteenth century

Two-light window with four rectangular panels, set in decorative frames. Top left: a tonsured monk is shown kneeling before a nimbed mitred figure and a further armoured figure behind, holding a shield and flag with a white cross on a red ground; top right: a tonsured abbot is shown kneeling before the Virgin and Child and a further armoured figure behind, who holds a flag with a white cross; below left: a tonsured monk kneels before a seated female saint holding a sword; below right: a standing male saint presents a tonsured kneeling abbot.

size: 68 cm (width of each light); width of figurative panels 54 cm

Church of St Cadoc, Aberpergwm, Neath Port Talbot
east wall of the chancel

Previously assumed to be Flemish, the panels have recently been identified by Roger Rosewell as originating from Steinfeld Abbey, near Cologne.

Since these photographs were taken (2010) the glass has been conserved.





 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 02-05-2012

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

St Augustine with a Donor and St George: Saints and DonorsVirgin and Child with Abbot John V von Münstereiful and St Chrysanthus: Saints and DonorsSt Barbara with Donor: Saints and DonorsSt Potentinus with Abbot John IV: Saints and DonorsDecorative Glass: Saints and DonorsSt Potentinus with Abbot John IV: Saints and DonorsSt Barbara with Donor: Saints and Donors

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), p. 61.

Andrew Renton, 'Discovering Pre-1700 Stained Glass in South Wales' in Vidimus, vol. 34 (November 2009).

David King and Roger Rosewell, 'New Steinfeld Discoveries: Special Supplement' in Vidimus, vol. 35 (December 2009).

References

John Newman, The Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (London/Cardiff: 1995), p. 360.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2012.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/3795 (accessed 19 November 2018)



View this object on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 

  Saints and Donors

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2018 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2018