Stained Glass in Wales | Gwydr Lliw yng Nghymru

The Crucifixion with Medieval Fragments

  The Crucifixion with Medieval Fragments

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

second half of the fifteenth century, restored in 1891

Three-light window with Christ on the cross in the central light, with sun and moon and bones below. The arcading over the scene is repeated at either side, but encloses a jumble of fragments containing the remains of several figures (including, in the right-hand light, part of John the Baptist). Below is a kneeling nun, and facing, a coat of arms. The tracery lights contain four figures, two of which are angels.



Church of St Mary, Llanllugan, Powys
east wall of the chancel

A date of 1453 was identified in the window, although it is no longer clearly visible. The window contains surviving pieces of a number of former windows, which may not all have been made at the same time. The figure of Christ itself may be a composite. Similarities between the two medieval figures in the tracery (the angels are of the nineteenth century) with figures at Gresford suggest a date of about 1500.

The Garter arms are probably those of Richard, Duke of York (1411-1460), the father of the future Yorkist kings Edward IV and Richard III, and lord of Cydewain. He must be identified as the donor for at least some of these surviving fragments, dating them to the middle of the fifteenth century. The figure of the kneeling nun is perhaps of a convent superior, rather than a donor.





 
Record added by Martin Crampin. Last updated on 26-05-2020

 

For other views of this work click on the image(s) below:

The Crucifixion with Medieval FragmentsTracery Lights: The Crucifixion with Medieval FragmentsThe Crucifixion with Medieval FragmentsThe Crucifixion with Medieval FragmentsCrucified Christ: The Crucifixion with Medieval FragmentsThe Crucifixion with Medieval FragmentsAbbess: The Crucifixion with Medieval FragmentsArms: The Crucifixion with Medieval FragmentsTracery Figures: The Crucifixion with Medieval FragmentsTracery Figures: The Crucifixion with Medieval Fragments

This work is indexed under the following main subject(s):
for other works containing these subjects please click on the links.

Show more subjects

Click here for other works at this site

Further reading

Martin Crampin, Stained Glass from Welsh Churches (Talybont: Y Lolfa, 2014), pp. 30, 32, 35, 52.

Peter Lord, The Visual Culture of Wales: Medieval Vision (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2003), pp. 166-7.

Mostyn Lewis, Stained Glass in North Wales up to 1850 (Altrincham: John Sherratt and Son Ltd, 1970), pp. 68-9.

D. R. Thomas, The History of the Diocese of St Asaph (Oswestry: Caxton Press, 1908-1913), vol. I, p. 486.

Madeleine Gray and John Morgan-Guy, ''A better and frugal life': Llanllugan and the Cistercian women's houses in Wales' Archaeologia Cambrensis, vol. 154 (2005), 100-107.

'Report of the Eighty-sixth Annual Meeting held at Newtown August 29 to September 2 1932' Archaeologia Cambrensis, vol. 87 (Part 2) (1932), 460-1.

References

Richard Haslam, The Buildings of Wales: Powys (Harmondsworth/Cardiff: 1979), p. 146.


 

Click to show suggested citation for this record
Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2020.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/3764 (accessed 26 September 2021)



View this object on the Imaging the Bible in Wales database

 

  The Crucifixion with Medieval Fragments

Photo © Martin Crampin



 
National Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales, Trinity Saint David - project partnerCentre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies
Database © 2011-2021 University of Wales. Individual images are credited with individual copyright owners. All material on this website is protected by copyright law and users are reminded to respect the rights of copyright holders represented on the database.

Database and software developed by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2011-2021